18 June 2008

When all is said and done.....

While I was externing I did come to care for a few of my patients routinuely. However, I wasn't prepared for what happened one day.
It was a usual afternoon, I'd take the patient to their room after going through their vitals.
One patient in particular we'll call Mrs. Q. Mrs. Q was a very sweet elderly lady. She was coming in to have her bandages changed on a wound. I have been changing her bandages for almost a week now. Mrs. Q. walked back slowely. Taking her vitals which were all normal we had our usual chatter about the weather, the flowers and she had this beautiful necklace on. So we talked about that. After fininishing going through all her vitals I leave the room putting the flag out for the doctor.
So, I move on to my next patient.
And I hear through the wall: Mrs Q.!! Mrs. Q!!!! Hello Mrs. Q!!!!! My co-worker pulled me from the room I was in and took me back to Mrs. Q's room. Where oxygen was being applied. And the emergency team was doing their work.
My Supervisor asked me if Mrs Q was acting ill or anything and I said no we were talking like you and I are now.
After about 20 minutes a code was declared. One you never want to hear.
Because she did not have a DNR...a ventilator was established...yet brain waves were all but nil.
Clinically she is dead.
Then it sank in. I was the last one to talk to her.
I took some time to talk to her family they wanted to know what we talked about. I talked to her husband especially since we talked alot about the necklace (which incidently is missing that this point ;/)
One thing this taught me...is:
Everyone, please make sure you have your "Advance Directives" done or whatever is valid in your state as to the "extremes" you want done to preserve your life.
In this field I guess I have to get used to this...but I must say...I don't think there will ever be a day I'm used to being the last one spoken too.

1 comment:

DaBich said...

Wow! I got goosebumps reading this one!!!

How old was Mrs.Q?